Cookie Monsters! It’s a new week and with it comes a new recipe. These chocolate chip cookies are the perfect pick-me-up; they are a total crowd pleaser and are healthier than they look! These cookies are gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and SO easy to make.
Fun fact: Oats are a source of beta glucans, which is a type of soluble fibre. Beta glucans have been found to reduce cholesterol and potentially reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, as well as support the immune system. Beta glucans are also a form of prebiotics; the food which feeds our healthy gut bacteria. Basically, OATS ARE GREAT!
I would LOVE to know if you recreate this recipe. Please tag me in your photos @totolynourished and let me know if you have any requests for upcoming recipes or articles. Is there anything you’d like to know more about?
Have a wonderful week and happy baking,
Makes 12 cookies
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (I used gluten free)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 40g raw/dark chocolate (the darker, the better!), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseeds and water. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the oats, ground almonds, desiccated coconut, raisins, chocolate, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix everything together.
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl and add the flaxseed mixture. Next, add the tahini, maple syrup and coconut oil. Mix thoroughly until everything is combined.
- Make 12 evenly sized cookie-shaped gems and transfer to your lined baking tray. Press the cookies down slightly to flatten before baking and leave enough space between each cookie, as they may expand a little. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cookies are golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and RESIST TEMPTATION! Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving. Then, Enjoy!