Summer is finally here! This is my favourite time of the year; sunshine on your skin, Wimbledon (aka Pimms), beach walks and long picnics in the park with my favourite people. I absolutely LOVE summer food – cue refreshing salads, smoothie bowls and ice cream!
This massaged kale, chickpea and pomegranate salad is incredibly simple to make but leaves the boring salad stereotype firmly at the door. If you’ve never massaged kale before, let me enlighten you! Raw kale is, to put it bluntly, quite tough and not all that delicious. By massaging it with lemon juice and tahini, it starts to break down the tough fibres of the kale making it easier to digest, leaving a soft but still textured green base for your salad, with a great dressing already coating it. The nutritional yeast adds a ‘cheesy’ texture to mimic a traditional Caesar salad, yet this is completely plant based and a nutrient dense twist on an old classic.
Kale is a leafy green powerhouse; packed full of liver-loving nutrients such as diindolylmethane (DIM), B vitamins and fibre. Crispy chickpeas provide a source of plant based protein, which act as a great alternative to traditional croutons, whilst pomegranate seeds promote antioxidant activity thanks to a compound called punicalagins. This recipe is gluten free, vegan and nut free – an ideal summer BBQ centerpiece, super quick supper or a great lunchbox option.
As always, please let me know if you recreate this recipe and tag me in your photos @totolynourished . I LOVE hearing your suggestions for future content so please keep them coming!
EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT: I am delighted to be collaborating with Kimberley (@kimberleysaysok) and Nina (@yiflow) for a morning of meditation, minimalism and nutrition at the gorgeous As Nature Intended store in Marble Arch. It’s all happening on Sunday 14th July, @ 9.30am – 11.30am. Tickets are £15 (includes a £10 voucher to be used in store) and tickets are available here:
Have a gorgeous week and I hope to see some of you on Sunday!
Love and light,
- 1 can cooked chickpeas
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 4 cups chopped curly kale
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 3 tbsp mixed seeds (i.e. pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds)
- 1 avocado
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Thoroughly rinse and drain the chickpeas and place on the baking tray. Add the cumin, paprika and coconut oil and mix thoroughly before placing in the oven. Cook for 30 mins until the chickpeas are crispy but not burnt, turning half way through the cooking process.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the kale and lemon juice and massage for 3-5 minutes until the kale starts to soften. Add the tahini, apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast and massage again for another minute or two. Set the bowl to one side until you are ready to serve.
- To assemble your serving bowl or platter, start with a base of the kale mixture, then add the crispy chickpeas, pomegranate seeds, mixed seeds and finish with freshly sliced avocado and a drizzle of tahini to serve.
- It really is that simple!